Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Weird Holidays for December and the first week of this wintry month

I know I'm tardy with this week's weird holidays. I've been battling a case of walking pneumonia and I haven't felt like doing much of anything. But I'm back, and I'll be better than before. So.... I'm going to do this a different way from now on.

December 1 - 7 weekly celebrations feature....

Cookie Cutter Week. That's one' of my goals this year: to actually make and bake some Christmas goodies, including cookies. I just found a recipe for some yummy butter cookies and chocolate snickerdoodles, so I will try those this week.

National Aplastic Anemia Week. I'm anemic, but I don't suffer from this disorder. It doesn't sound like much fun.

Tolerance Week. Something everyone should practice.

Recipe Greetings for the Holidays. I like to prepare new things for the holidays. Last year, I made a cute Christmas tree appetizer using the small rye bread slices, deli roast beef, cheddar cheese spread, and pecans. It was a hit! I'm not sure what I'll make that is "fun" this year, but I'm sure I can come up with something!!

National Handwashing Awareness Week is Dec 2 - 8. Yes, a week that definitely needs to be dealt with! Ever since I suffered from salmonella poisoning last spring, I've been a handwashing fanatic! Not that I didn't wash my hands prior to that, but now it has almost become an obsessive-compulsive thing with me. Better to be on the safe side. At least that's what my mom always said.

Clerc-Gallaudet runs December 3 - 9. These two significantly contributed to education for the hearing impaired.

Operation Santa Paws kicked off December 1 and runs through the 22nd. This observance began in 2001 and attempts to locate homes for homeless dogs. Now, I'm a cat person. They make you work for their affection. But dogs are still cute.

December is also the month for

  • Bingo's Birthday. I like Bingo. I know alot of people probably consider it an "older person's" entertainment, but it is fun. Plus, if you're lucky, you can hit the jackpot!
  • Colorectal Cancer Awareness and Education. I won't even attempt potty humor here. I promise.
  • Identity Theft Awareness and Prevention Month. Check your credit report. You really should. When I checked mine, I found several discrepancies of addresses where I'd supposedly lived. Interesting.
  • Learn a Foreign Language Month. I want to study French. Cool accent!!
  • National Drunk and Drugged Driving Month. It's easy. Just don't do it.
  • National Stress-free Family Holidays Month. Stress-free holiday. Isn't that an oxymoron of some sort?
  • National Sign Up For Summer Camp Month. The kids go away and the parents play. Is that the concept? I always enjoyed summer camp. A week away from family and a chance to meet new people.
  • National Write A Business Plan Month. If I didn't write, I wouldn't mind a running a catering business.
  • National Tie Month. A man dressed in a tie always looks classy!
  • Safe Toys and Gift Month. A big issue this season considering all the toy recalls.
  • Spiritual Literacy Month. I found various explanations of this celebration, ranging from celebrating the literal meaning of the Scripture to honoring spiritual literature.
  • And finally, Take A New Year's Resolution to Stop Smoking. Enough said.

No comments: