Tuesday, December 11, 2007

December 11 fun times

It's Tuesday, so things are picking up a bit from yesterday! Four celebrations grace today.

Read a New Book Day. Now you know since it has to do with reading, which is formed from writing, I will celebrate this day to the fullest. And after investigating, there is conflicting information. Some sites say it's not just today, but the entire month of December is Read a New Book Month. Others say the celebration is in September. But it shouldn't matter, should it? Everyone needs to read for enjoyment. It's a good stress reliever. And, like I think I've mentioned before, I like to visualize the book as a movie - true to the script - and pick who should star in my version. Right now I'm reading a YA novel called Open Ice. And when I'm finished with it, I'm on to another YA novel entitled Spanking Shakespeare. They are for reviews on Curled Up With a Good Book. Besides the box of books I have to review, I also have a list - 10 pages long and in alphabetical order - of books I want to read. So many books, so little time.

International Mountain Day offers an opportunity to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life, to highlight the opportunities and constraints of mountain development, and to build partnerships that will bring positive changes to the world's mountains and highlands, according to Mountain Partnership. I live in the Nebraska mountain range known as the Nebraska Sandhills. Wonder if that counts! Viva la Sandhills!!

It's also the birthday of UNICEF. A great organization that promotes equality and offers a voice for children around the world.

And for all you foodies, it's National Noodle Ring Day. I'm not sure if it honors just noodle rings, like those you find in soups, or if it's a celebration of all things pasta. Anyway, check out this educational sheet at Teacher Vision.

No comments: