Thursday, December 20, 2007

December 20 wackiness

There are a few interesting, some yummy, and one strange celebration for December 20.

First, it's Mudd Day. Now, I didn't know what this was all about. You see, here on the farm, we have a lot of mud. I mean a lot. But this day isn't to honor dust blowing in the wind or the wet, sticky kind that the kids track in.

Instead, today is about Dr. Samuel Mudd, who treated a disguised John Wilkes Booth after he shot President Lincoln. Mudd spent four years in jail for treating Booth.

Today also brings honors to Sacajawea . She made many sacrifices during her journey with Lewis and Clark, but if it had not been for her presence, the explorers would not have been able to converse and make gains with other Native Americans encountered along the way.

National French Fried Shrimp Day. If I have to tell you to get out there and get some shrimp..... I've always considered shrimp to be something for a special occasion and I don't make it very often at home. I like cajun shrimp, coconut shrimp, beer batter shrimp, grilled shrimp, shrimp and pasta..... And I also like my Bubba Gump Shrimp Company apron!!

Go Caroling Day is today. Why not get out of the house and brighten someone's holiday season by singing a few Christmas carols. I was considering this earlier: what's my favorite Christmas carol? O Holy Night stands out, but I also like The First Noel as well as Angels We Have Heard on High. Silent Night is a classic, but I'm going to say my favorite is O Holy Night.

Today kicks off International Language Week. I would like to learn French, and sometime in this lifetime, I am going to do it and not just say I would like to. Italian seems romantic and fun also. Another language I think would be helpful to learn is Latin. Some of the larger high schools in Omaha are teaching it again. If you can master the latin prefixes and roots, you can figure out any word's definition. At least that's what I've been told.

No comments: