Sunday, December 16, 2007

December 16 Holidays

Two interesting reasons to have fun today.

First, it's National Chocolate-Covered Anything Day. The National Confectioner's Association lists dates to celebrate your favorite candy. I like chocolate, but as I grow older, it's seems like my cravings for it have diminished to only once or twice a month. That's good, but I think the damage was done years ago!! :)

I can remember when we were growing up, we would usually make Christmas candy either the first or second Saturday of December, depending on the basketball schedule at school. (I grew up with two teachers, so....) Anyway, it was a family, all-day affair. I would always make fudge and cherry mash bars, my sister would make sugared peanuts, dad would make chocolate covered cashews, and mom, well, I think she just supervised. No, she helped me make divinity.
Then at dinner, either my sister would make Japanese food or I would make taco pizza. Fun times!

Chocolate covered strawberries are a favorite. I took the girls to a place in the Poconos; I think it was called the Pocono Candy Factory. Awesome chocolate (dark and white) covered strawberries. The covered pretzels were pretty darn good, too!

It's also Barbie and Barney Backlash Day. I think the name for this holiday says it all.

No comments: