Friday, December 7, 2007

Need a Reason to Celebrate? December 7 is....

Fire Pup Day. Yup, today is the time to honor those cute little pups who assist firemen with their duties. Visit your local firehouse and give the dog a bone.

International Civil Aviation Day. Established in 1994 by the IACO as the 50-year anniversary of the organization. Both the Canadian government and the UN sanction this celebration. The main purpose is to generate worldwide awareness of the importance of civil aviation in the social and economic development of States.

I've always thought it would be fun to learn how to pilot a plane. Until it's time to land. Then I'm not so sure I'd want to have total control.

National Cotton Candy Day. Usually a treat associated with summer and fairs and the circus, today's food celebrant is this sugary treat. Originally called fairy floss, cotton candy received a name change in 1920, according to Candy USA! Makes we wish for summertime. And considering that we have six inches of snow dusting our lawn, I want it to be summer now!

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. December 7, 1941, a day that will live in infamy.

Letter Writing Day. Letter writing is a lost art. In today's hi-tech world, letter writing is considered old fashioned. Maybe that's why I enjoy writing letters. And I don't mean typed letters that are sent to the masses, like the Christmas letter I mailed in this year's Christmas cards. No, I mean a handwritten note that lets someone know you care enough to take the time to write and share open dialogue with them.

When we cleaned my grandma's house, we found all the letters my dad had sent to my grandparents. We even found the letter when my parents told my grandparents that my mom was pregnant with me. Very cool, and I wish we would have saved them. Letters are a wonderful primary source that can be used for research.

No comments: