Thursday, December 13, 2007

December 12....A Day Late and....

Weird holidays...for, well, actually they were celebrated yesterday....but my day was the day from &*(^&*(^ so....I'm getting to it today.

National Ambrosia Day. Good stuff. I made a good one at Thanksgiving that had orzo, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and whipped cream. Everyone enjoyed it.

Gingerbread House Day. Always thought it would be fun to make one. But I am not sure if I have the patience to put one together. Plus, it would probably end up being more than a house; it would be an entire village.

Lady of Guadalupe Day. Important to Mexican religion. She's the most beloved religious and cultural icon.

Poinsettia Day. I just wrote a feature article for Rural Electric Nebraskan about the history of poinsettias and the industry in Nebraska. Red is the favorite color, followed by pink. The plant, which in its native state resembles a shrub, was discovered by Joel Poinsett. So, guess how the plant got its name?? And for goodness sake, pronounce the plant's name correctly: poin * set* e* a.

National Ding-A-Ling Day. Beware the crazy people! (note my whisper for the next line) They're everywhere! There are actually Ding-A-Ling clubs across the United States.

No comments: