Sunday, December 16, 2007

Reality, Fiction, Nicolas Cage, and Quantum Physics

About six years ago, I read Timeline by Michael Crichton. It's a story about a group of historians who are employed by a billionaire techie who utilizes quantum foam wormholes to transport people between the past and the present. They go back in time to the 1300s, and naturally, it's a race to see if they make it back to the future.

The book was made into a movie, and like I've mentioned before, when I read, I formulate the cast in my mind, and my cast included Nicolas Cage, Sean Connery, Nicole Kidman, and Orlando Bloom. Hey, I can dream, right?

Anyway, the whole quantum physics realm interests me. I've heard other speakers on the topic suggest that there are really two worlds and we exist on both. It doesn't mean we are doing the same thing on both; the suggestion is that the real me is on one world and the quantum me is on another.

That thought leads to this question: What if there is a parallel plane co-existing next to us, and we are there, too, making different decisions and leading a different life. What if that world is reality and this world is fiction?

Certainly gives reason for pause. What if, on the other plane, my circumstances are completely different from the life I now lead? If I saw a glimpse of that life (reminds me of the Nicolas Cage film The Family Man), would I be satisfied with what I have now or would I want the a shot at the glimpse?

Do you notice a "Nicolas Cage" theme here?

I think it's an interesting concept that most people (or as my kids would say, a normal person) don't consider. Most of us are too busy with the tangible: the sporty car, the big house, the white picket fence, the 2.3 kids, and the designer dog who gets hauled around in a purse. Many people live beyond their means. And I'd venture that most of them are not happy.

Instead, maybe we should focus on the intangible: love, understanding, and acceptance, just to name a few.

I wonder what my other self on that co-existing plane thinks. At this moment, is she sitting at a computer, blogging about the same thing? No. I bet on that alternate plane, she's married to Nicolas Cage.

But that's okay. I have my own Nicolas Cage right here. And this is reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your theory on this...maybe there is a co-existing plane...wouldn't that be neat to meet yourself in the other plane! Wonder if we would like ourselves????