Friday, December 21, 2007

December 22 celebrations

It's December 22 and I have a personal reason to celebrate today (more on that in another post)!

It's Abilities Day. I couldn't find any factual information about this celebration, but I'm wondering if it's a time for individuals to celebrate what they have, can or will accomplish. Some people reach mini-goals every day and don't realize how it affects the big picture. And then again, I could be wrong. :)

National Date Nut Bread is a fitting tribute to the holiday season.

Winter begins today with the winter solstice. It's the shortest day of the year. So that must be why UNL scheduled graduation for today. Ha!

Of course, most of us all hope for World Peace. And today is World Peace Day. I found conflicting dates for this event, but one says that World Peace Day occurs on the Winter Solstice each year. Kind of yin/yang thing.

It's also National Haiku Poetry Day. Isn't that a big redundant. Haiku is poetry, so is it really necessary to have poetry included in the day's title? This is one of my favorite forms of poetry to teach. It's creative and can be about anything, although the ancient forms focused on nature.

No comments: