Friday, February 1, 2008

January 26 weird and wacky celebrations

National Peanut Brittle Day. Wonder who thought up this food holiday? Probably the peanut or the sugar industry. But does it really matter? Peanut brittle is delicious. I believe it was our great aunt Louise who made wonderful peanut brittle. Never too hard, just perfectly crisp. And very tasty!

National Seed Swap Day. The name implies the intent. Honestly, I have a whole bunch of seeds I would've been willing to swap. I'm not sure but I do believe I have 1o packages of spearmint seeds and about 25 catnip packets. I planted spinach and kale last year, but neither one survived the dreaded weed 'n sandbur patch. This year I want to try a few new things, but I'm not sure what. When I Googled this celebration, it seems like several large cities hosted events. Maybe I'll organize one for next year.

Toad Hollow Day of Encouragement. Not sure what this means. Toad Hollow is a winery, a software company, and a dog park. Maybe we need a software program to encourage wine drinking while at the dog park. Hell, who knows!!

Backwards Day would have been fun to celebrate in school. You could call people by their last name first. You could lie underneath your desk instead of sit at it. The possibilities are endless. I'm sure for some, every day might be a backward day. Things might not always work out the way a person has planned, but that's just the nature of life.

Spouse's Day is a time to honor your spouse. Since it's close to Valentine's Day, maybe today is the perfect time just to show them how much you care about them. After all, it's the little things that count. Sure, the big presents or even the unexpected gifts are nice, but most of the time, it's just the little gestures of love that are shown on a daily basis that really make a difference.

No comments: