Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Feb 17 weird 'n wacky holidays

For all you race nuts out there, today is the granddaddy of 'em all: the Daytona 500. I admit that I never watch an entire race. I like the pre-race broadcast, and I usually watch the first 20 or 30 laps and then tune back in for the last 20 or 30. It would be different if I were actually at the race track, but there are too many other distractions at home.

I will never forget when we returned home from a trip to Omaha, walked into the house, and Cassie told us that Dale Earnhardt had been killed in an accident on the track. At first I thought she was joking (primarily because she is a Jeff Gordon-lover), but I could sense by the look on her face that she was not joking around.

My favorite driver is Dale Earnhardt, Jr. And it's not just because he's carrying on his father's legacy. He is interesting to listen to, and he just has the "woo factor." I will also admit that it is difficult this year since he supposedly joined the "enemy" - Hendricks Motorsports - but a true fan respects a driver no matter what team he races for. I respect his decision to move away from DEI. And I am very happy with Jr's 9th place finish on Sunday. What a good start to a hopefully stellar season!

Here's an interesting top 10 list about Daytona.

Today is also My Way Day. Now I'm not sure if that's a nod to Frank Sinatra and his famous song or if it is a recognition of "it's my way or the highway."

If you have children, you no doubt are or were active in their educational endeavors. Celebrate National PTA Founders Day. The organization's roots are firmly planted in Georgia.

Today is also World Human Spirit Day and stands as a celebration of the human spirit and what we each have to say regarding healing and world peace.

No comments: