Thursday, January 17, 2008

Getting fit on the farm

So, I know I'm usually sitting in front of the computer writing, and I know I need to exercise more. Before I moved to the farm, I belonged to a gym in Norfolk and worked out almost daily. It included circuit training and I usually logged some time on the treadmill while I was there.

Now you'd think since I live out here in the middle of nowhere that I could go for a walk anywhere at any time. Well, I did during the summer, but now that winter's cold is at its strongest, I dread going outside to get the mail, let alone going for a walk. Our east/west road is coated in ice. The north/south minimum maintenance road is muddy. I would like a treadmill. I know I would use it!

But yesterday, my parents and I joined the local hospital's wellness effort. We received a pedometer, water bottle, and other fun stuff to chart our number of steps. Now yesterday was not such a good day for my pedometer. I put it on before leaving the hospital, went to Norfolk and ran a few errands and went to work, and then came home. And I logged....250 steps. That's like 1/10 of a mile. Today's been better so far. I've walked laps in the house and have a good start on it.

We also decided that we would join the weight loss challenge. I know it would help me if I would eat breakfast, but I'm never really hungry in the morning. I realize that breakfast jump starts your metabolism. I just read an article on MSNBC about eating small meals ever three hours. So today, I ate breakfast. And guess what. I feel tired. But I'm not hungry and I've been drinking a lot of water, so it's a good start. I weighed myself this morning - pre-breakfast - and the scale registered two pounds lighter than it did yesterday. It's a start.

No comments: