Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Celebrations for January 23

National Handwriting Day honors a lost art - handwriting. When I write magazine or newspaper articles, I like to write on notebook paper and then type. I think there are several reasons why this works for me. One, it's a tactile thing. I like the feel of the pen in my hand and my hand moving against the notebook paper. I even have certain pens I prefer to write with. My two favorites are the Papermate Flair (in magenta) or the Papermate Profile. Two, I think it has to do with my multiple intelligence learning style. I'm a visual learner, and seeing the edits and rewrites on the page gives me a sense of satisfaction. A computer can't really supply that because once you delete, it's gone.

On second thought, those reasons just might be obsessive compulsive. :)

On a more delicious note, today is National Pie Day. It's as American as apple pie! The American Pie Council offers a newsletter about this favorite comfort food. I'd like to pick a favorite, but it really depends on the time of year. I like strawberry or peach pie in the summer. Cherry - with a lattice top - is a favorite and brings back a lot of memories from my childhood. Pecan is always a winner.

My Grandma Larson always enjoyed a piece of pie with afternoon coffee. I remember once when I stopped by the cafe and got several pieces and took them - and the kids - along for an afternoon treat. Everybody but Courtney ate a piece, leaving one piece. It was coconut cream. Grandma ate it, along with her piece of chocolate cream pie.

And finally, if your mailbox is located next to the road, watch out. Today is Snowplow Mailbox Hockey Day. This little game is enjoyed by snowplow drivers as they try to annihilate mailboxes from roadside existence. Heck, I can do that without a snowplow. It's called a Jimmy, and I can swerve it to the side of the road and take out a box at any time.

Isn't that against a federal offense though? I wouldn't do that anyway because I've had it happen to my mailbox and it gets very frustrating having to replace it on a regular basis.

No comments: