Monday, November 12, 2007

Sunrise in the Sandhills

I walked outside our house this morning and saw one of the most beautiful contrasting skies. To the east, a palette of orange and pink fingertips spread across the sky. Slowly, a brilliant ball of orange peaked above the horizon and greeted me.

Above me, a thin veil of clouds cast a grey shadow. A handful of raindrops spilled onto the windshield of my vehicle.

Looking west, a strange shade of blue, laced with purple and black streaks, filled the skyline. A shimmer of a rainbow glistened its hues of red, orange, yellow, and violet. I drove a mile south and turned west; glancing toward the north, the end of the rainbow came into view. The strands of color were more vibrant than the small specks lining the western sky.

Another beautiful morning in the Nebraska Sandhills.

No comments: