Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Non-Turkey Day

While my family pigs out on turkey today, I'll be celebrating by having a turkey-free Thanksgiving. I'm sure the birds will thank me!

My turkey-free celebration days actually began when I was about 3. I can remember being at one of my great aunt's house for Christmas, and I don't know if I had the flu or what, but I do remember eating turkey and then getting ill. Really ill. The kind of ill when your body shakes in convulsions, the fever shoots sky high, and...

Ok, maybe I wasn't that sick, but since that day, I have not enjoyed eating the white meat.

Ironically, I've written two stories - one for a regional magazine and one for a local newspaper - about the state's turkey industry. My family laughs about it!

It's kind of ironic, too, that I will eat turkey if it is on, say, a club sandwich, surrounded by other meat, cheese, and mayonnaise. I'll also eat a bit of it if it's on a chef salad, coated with blue cheese or ranch dressing.

But to partake in it when it's hot out of the oven? I can't do it.

So, I'll enjoy my vegetarian feast of sweet potatoes, salads, and green bean casserole, and it won't hurt my feelings one bit when the I pass on the bird.

No comments: