Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Discover America

Want to see the simple beauty of America? Check out the video at http://www.discoveramerica.com. Click the "Portraits of America" link below the main photograph. It's simply beautiful!

I've been lucky enough to travel across most of the U.S. Some places have left lasting impressions; other memories have sifted to the outermost regions of my mind. Why? There are just places where the scenery - and the people - form the perception of the area.

One of my favorite places to visit is San Diego. My sister lives there, but I like the feel of the city. It's historic yet hip. It's a mesh of cultures. Some parts are haunted (take the tour!). Maybe I enjoy it because of the weather, and it would be nice of Nebraska could have temps like that year round.

Is there a "worst" place I've visited? We've been to some places that weren't friendly. The summer between 1st and 2nd grade, we lived in North Carolina while my dad attended UNC-Greensboro. People there were welcoming; the southern hospitality belief prevailed. It wasn't until I was older that I realized the segregation of that time period and that location. But when we were returning home, we made a stop in Pittsburgh to watch a Pirates - St. Louis Cardinals baseball game. We were trying to find a parking place near the stadium, but it was difficult because our car was pulling a U-Haul trailer. People in the parking lot we ended up at were just rude. It didn't feel like a very welcoming environment. I'm not sure if Pittsburg has changed. Sometimes you hear people talking about the "east coast rudeness" that exists. I've been in New York though, and for the most part, people weren't rude.

Yes, there can be unpleasant people anywhere. But for the most part, America is simply a beautiful place.

No comments: