Monday, September 3, 2007

Teens and Responsibility

What has happened to today's teenagers? When did they become couch-sitting, reality tv-watching, sorry-but-I-can't-get-out-of-bed-until-11 AM sleeping, and I-don't-have-any-respect-for-anyone spouting kids?

I must have missed it. Or maybe I was embedded in the tunnel vision of parochial school education for too long. I don't know. Yes, there were kids in parochial school who weren't perfect and fit the above description. Show me any kid who is perfect. Oh yeah, that's right. There's only been one, and his name was JC.

I know there were things I wanted when I was a teen, and I'd wish for them, but if I couldn't afford it with money that I earned on my own, I didn't hassle my parents until they purchased it for me. Nope. I waited until I was 40 to do that! :)

Ok, honestly, I've raised three daughters and taught hundreds of students during my career, but I look at my youngest and my SO's two oldest and I worry about what their attitudes say about teens as a whole as well as this generation and where they're headed.

Scary.

But on the other hand, there are thousands of teens who are responsible and do care about the impressions they make. Too bad there aren't more of them.

No comments: