Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Can She Handle It?

I had about an hour-long talk last night with the person who replaced me at my former job. She had called and asked for some help and she needed some questions answered.

I'm worried. I know, I know. I resigned from that job to freelance full-time, but I invested a lot of years in that position and pushed the envelope in my department to get it to the point it was at when I left. She's scared, she's young, and she admitted that it's taken about five people to replace me (which was a nice compliment to hear), but I think eventually, she will be fine. It takes time to develop a rapport with kids and fellow workers. I just hope she isn't overloaded and struggling.

And then I think 'hey, why are you worried about it?' because you don't work there anymore. And that's very true. I don't, but sometimes it's hard to let go of something that you've built - almost from the ground up. It's like taking your baby to daycare for the first time or walking into kindergarten with them for that first day of school and then leaving, a tear in your eye because you're unsure of the unknown, the 'what-if-this-happens.'

But you also let go and you walk away. It's time for me to do that, too.

No comments: