Friday, October 31, 2008

Some Halloween Fun Facts

According to the Census Bureau, the estimated number of potential trick-or-treaters last year was 36 million children between the ages of 5 to 13. Well, I had three visit here: two nieces and one nephew. One below the age of 5. Guess we're not so typical here in the sandhills of Nebraska.

The Census Bureau also reports that 93 % of households consider their neighborhood to be safe. 78% said there was no place within a mile of their homes where they would be afraid to walk alone at night. It's a mile south to the in-laws. Go a mile east and you're at my brother-in-law's house. I might consider walking to one of those places in the dark. It's fairly safe. Except for the possible mangy coyotes that howl. Or the occasional heifer that slips out of the fence and scares the heck out of you when you run into it.

Need a scary place to visit on Halloween? Fellow Nebraskans can visit Skull Creek, population 274. Now, I did a little research, and the only 'Skull Creek' I could find was a township in Butler County. I believe I'm fairly knowledgeable about Nebraska cities, villages, towns, and hamlets, but this one has me baffled. If you don't reside in the Cornhusker state, you could visit Transylvania County, PA; Tombstone, AZ; Pumpkin Center, NC; Pumpkin Bend, AR; Cape Fear, NC (now in two locations in NC: New Hanover County and Chatham County).

Americans ingest 24.5 pounds of candy on average. Of course, that's just the 2007 estimate. I don't think I ate that much. And I know I didn't give that much to my three little trick-or-treaters who visited tonight.

No comments: